Control your PS5 console from a Mac
Install [PS Remote Play] on your Mac computer, and then connect to your PS5 console.
You’ll need the following to use Remote Play:
OS macOS High Sierra
macOS Big Sur
Storage space 40 MB or more RAM 2 GB or more
- PS5 console
Always update your PS5 console to the latest version of the system software.
- An account for PlayStation™Network
Use the same account that you use for your PS5 console. If you don’t have an account, you’ll need to create one first.
- High-speed internet connection
As a standard, we recommend a high-speed connection with upload and download speeds of at least 5 Mbps. For best performance, we recommend a high-speed connection with upload and download speeds of at least 15 Mbps.
- DualSense wireless controller
You can use Bluetooth® to connect your controller to a Mac running macOS Big Sur (11.3) or later. If you can’t connect using Bluetooth®, use a USB cable.
- You can also use a DualSense Edge wireless controller. Use a USB cable to connect the controller to your Mac.
- You can also use a DUALSHOCK 4 wireless controller. Connect the controller to your Mac using Bluetooth® or a USB cable.
- For details on Bluetooth® pairing, see “Using a wireless controller”.
- To use voice chat, you’ll need a microphone, such as the built-in microphone on your Mac.
Install the app
You’ll only need to do these steps the first time you use the app. You can use the same app to connect to your PS5 console and PS4 console.
Download [PS Remote Play] and save it to your desktop or other location.
- Run the installation file, and then follow the on-screen instructions to install the app.
Set up your PS5 console
Set up your PS5 console in the following ways. You’ll only need to do this the first time you use Remote Play:
- From the home screen, select [Settings] > [System] > [Remote Play], and then turn on [Enable Remote Play].
- To start Remote Play while your PS5 console is in rest mode, select [Settings] > [System] > [Power Saving] > [Features Available in Rest Mode]. Then turn on [Stay Connected to the Internet] and [Enable Turning on PS5 from Network].
Start Remote Play
You’ll take the following steps each time you connect to your PS5 console from your Mac.
- Turn on your PS5 console or put it into rest mode.
- Connect your Mac and your controller using Bluetooth®.
For details on Bluetooth® pairing, see “Using a wireless controller”.
You can also use a USB cable.
- Launch [PS Remote Play] on your Mac, and then select [Sign In to PSN].
- Sign in with the same account that you use for your PS5 console.
When you select [Settings], you can configure video quality settings for Remote Play such as resolution and frame rate.
- Select [PS5].
The app searches for the PS5 console that you’ve signed in to using your account, and then connects to the console automatically. After it connects, the screen of your PS5 console displays on your Mac and you can start using Remote Play. If multiple PS5 consoles are found, select the console that you’d like to use.
From the second time onwards, you’ll be able to select the console that you connected to previously.
- Your Mac won't be able to search and connect to your PS5 console if it's been more than 60 days since you last logged in. Before trying to connect remotely from outside your home, check that your device connects properly while you're near your PS5 console.
- If the app can’t find the device that you’d like to connect, or if you can’t connect or have an unstable connection, see “When Remote Play isn't available”.
Remote Play controls
Besides using your controller, you can also control your PS5 console with the control panel.
During Remote Play, if you move the mouse cursor of your Mac over the screen that you’re using for Remote Play, the control panel displays:
- Create button
Perform the same functions as the controller’s (create) button.
- PS button
Display the control center of your PS5 console.
- Options button
Perform the same functions as the controller’s (options) button.
Select [Mic on] / [Mic off] to turn the microphone on or off.
Mic on Mic off Mic not connected
- Battery level
Check your controller’s battery level.
Quit Remote Play
- Click the at the top left corner of the screen you’re using for Remote Play.
You’ll see a message that says “This Remote Play session will be disconnected”.
To quit Remote Play while your PS5 console is in rest mode, select the checkbox for [Put the connected console in rest mode].
- Select [OK].
Remote Play quits and the screen returns to its original state before your Mac was connected to your PS5 console.
To uninstall [PS Remote Play], drag [PS Remote Play] from your Applications folder and into the trash. Then, go to Finder and select [Empty trash].